ABOUT THIS SITE
This mini site is added on this website specifically for Findability topic. It is created as one of the tasks I did for Findability assessments of my Web Tech Study. The following are the topics covered in this site.
- Findability Blog
- SEO Best Practices
- Findability Resources
- Findability Vocabulary
Findability Works Completed
I tried to implement as much skills and knowledge that I gained during this study as possible to create a good website. In terms of Findability, here are the things that I have done so far to improve findability of this website.
- Publishing relevant information, so content of this website is consistent and stay focus on one thing (which is about web design and technologies related information). I understand that search engines would rather go to a website that is focused on one thing than a website that contains information about a lot of other, different stuff.
- Making this website presentable using pictures, a table, a video, etc. However, I also want to keep layout of this website simple, not too cluttered and jam packed with unecessary things.
- Using plain and simple English.
- Using semantic HTML to structure the webpages to make it easier for search engines to read and crawl around this website. It can also make this website more accessible (especially for people who use a screen reader).
- Using headings appropriately to break up content and adding keywords wherever possible.
- Optimising images for faster loading.
- Adding alt attribute for images and also adding keywords wherever possible.
- Keywords is one of the key elements considered by search engines to index and rank websites. So, I tried to optimise the use of keywords as much as possible. However, I also understand that it is not recommendable to over use keywords and sacrifice the flow and context of website content. I have included keywords in metadata (in title and description), headings, within the website content, alt tags of images, etc.
- Making sure that this website is as mobile-friendly or responsive as possible as I understand that mobile phone use for websites is becoming very popular. More and more people are using mobile phones to surf the Web and also for social media.
- Adding contact details and Google Map. However, for security reasons, contact details provided in this website are all false.
- Creating Findability mini site and posting related information such as blogs, research, resources and dictionary.
- 404 Error Page
- Redirecting all traffic to the secure URL (https)
- Changing the website URL to make it more SEO friendly by removing spaces and adding keywords.
- SEO html presentation
- A video with captions